CompuServe is one of the earliest contenders in the arena of providing email service. CompuServe, situated in Columbus, Ohio, was founded in 1969 as a computer time-sharing service, and it was responsible for triggering the early appearance of the online service business. It was also the first service to provide electronic mail and technical assistance to their computer users. CompuServe made history again in 1980 when it became the first online platform to feature online real-time conversation.
This email service provider has been a completely owned subsidiary of AOL, since February 1998. CompuServe, as part of the AOL Web Services group, plays an essential role in offering Internet access for value-conscious users desiring both a stable internet connection and all the services, features, and functionalities of the internet.
CompuServe provides its email services that are accessible through various apps, devices, third-party email clients, etc. However, logging into a CompuServe email account can be a daunting task, as it is a decade-old service, which usually leads its users to doubt its compatibility and login process with new platforms of the modern age.
To clear out these uncertainties, the following article has been written, and it will allow you to log in and access your CompuServe email across some popular platforms.
Logging into CompuServe Email
CompuServe and AOL collaboration has confused many of their users about the ways by which they can log in and access their CompuServe email accounts.
But, I have figured out ways to abolish that confusion of yours. Listed below are the three ways using which you will be easily able to log in to your CompuServe email account. Basically, the different approaches are based on the type of device or software you are using; read below to find out.
CompuServe Email Login via Its Website
If you are having the CompuServe email address that has the ‘cs.com’ or ‘compuserve.com’ extension, then the steps jotted down below will guide you through the CompuServe email login process using its website:
- First, you have to open the browser and visit the CompuServe official website.
- On the website’s homepage, locate the CompuServe Mail button, and click on it.
- Since AOL is now the parent company of CompuServe email, it will direct you to the AOL email login page. There, you have to first fill in your CompuServe email address, either with ‘cs.com’ or ‘comusperve.com’ suffix.
- You can optionally choose to select ‘Stay signed in’ option, which will keep you logged into your account, and you need not log in every time you access your email.
- Click on the Next button.
- At last, fill in your password, click on the Login button and with that, you will land into your CompuServe email account.
CompuServe Email Login on iPhone/iPad
Logging into the CompuServe email through the browser is a very tedious task to do, as you have to open the browser, go to its website, then to the login page and the rest you know. In order to prevent yourself from going through this long and time-consuming process over and over, you should add the CompuServe email to your Apple Mail, so that you can access it with just a tap.
The steps for adding and logging into the CompuServe email account on your iOS device are stated here:
- First, open your phone’s settings app and locate the Mail option and tap on it.
- Inside the Mail settings’ page, select Accounts.
- Thereafter, tap on the Add Account option, which will direct you to the page containing a list of email service providers. Select AOL from there, if present, otherwise, tap on the Other option.
- On the next screen, fill in your CompuServe email address, its password, your name, and a small description about the email account and tap Next.
- The Apple Mail will verify the account and try to configure it by itself. If it couldn’t verify your email, you will be asked to set up the account manually (jump to next step), otherwise, your account will be verified, and you just have to tap Save and you can start using your CompuServe email on your iOS device.
- If Apple Mail couldn’t verify your CompuServe email, then you have to fill in the following mail server details in their designated fields. You can either select IMAP or POP (IMAP is preferred) as the Account Type and fill its respective settings only:
|FOR IMAP ACCOUNT TYPE||FOR POP ACCOUNT TYPE|
|Incoming Mail Server||imap.aol.com||pop.aol.com|
|Outgoing Mail Server||smtp.aol.com||smtp.aol.com|
- After you are done with filling in the mail server settings, tap Next and Apple Mail will again verify the settings. If these are correct, your CompuServe email account will be logged in to your Apple Mail app. However, if it’s the otherwise case, then you have to again type in the details correctly and then proceed.
CompuServe Email Login on Outlook
Accessing CompuServe email will become all easier if you have and use Outlook on your system. Outlook makes it simpler to organize and manage all of your email accounts in one place. Even so, if you don’t have Outlook, just download it and log in your CompuServe email to it and see, all your complexities of logging into it will be resolved.
To log in to your CompuServe email account using Outlook, listed below are the steps that you have to follow:
- Open the Outlook app on your desktop.
- Select File from its top menu bar options.
- Next, you have to click on the Add Account button.
- Thereafter, you will be prompted by a window to enter your email address. Type in your CompuServe email address with either ‘cs.com’ or ‘compuserve.com’ suffix and click ‘Connect’.
- On the next screen, enter your CompuServe email password, click OK and then Finish.
Simple Troubleshooting For CompuServe Login Issues
Apart from login confusion, many users tend to face some login issues while trying to get into their CompuServe email account. If so is the case with you as well, then go through some tips stated below that might help you overcome your difficulties with this email:
- If you are trying to log in to CompuServe email through the browser, but failing at it, every time, then clearing the browser’s cookies and cache data can abolish the difficulty that is preventing you from getting into your account.
- Make sure that you are using the updated version of the browser from which you are accessing CompuServe email. If you are using an outdated version, then the conflict between the security settings of the email and browser can arise, and therefore, your email won’t be at its best behaviour.
- If you are accessing your cs.com email via Apple Mail, Outlook, or any third-party email service provider, then ensure that the email is using correct mail server settings (provided in CompuServe Email Login on iPhone/iPad section of this article).
- While logging in via browser, if you are displayed with the message that ‘Your password is invalid’, then click on the Forgot Password link, present just below the password field, and change your password.
However, if the solutions provided couldn’t solve your problems with the CompuServe email, you can also try out solutions for AOL mail login problems, as AOL is the managing company of CompuServe.